An intraoral scanner is an invaluable tool that delivers a high quality image of a patient's dentition, and allows its user to bypass the wait time of submitting PVS impressions through the mail. The sales and use of these scanners is rapidly growing thanks to the convenience and precision they offer. Although learning a new system might seem intimidating, we're here to help. If you're looking into the Trios scanner by 3Shape, here are the directions you'll need to submit your patient data to ClearCorrect and get them on the road to aligner treatment as quickly as possible.
Please make sure you have already created and activated your 3Shape Communicate account at https://us.3shapecommunicate.com.
1. Click “Connections” at the top of the page.
2. Search by entering "email@example.com" and then click "find".
3. In the search results, select “ClearCorrect”.
4. After reading the confidentiality agreement, select “I Agree” and then “Connect”.
5. ClearCorrect will accept your connection. This can take up to 24 hours. Once it's been accepted, go to (Configure > Lab Connections > Refresh). ClearCorrect will appear as a lab you can connect to.
Filling out the order form
6. Select ClearCorrect as lab. To get through this preparation phase, you'll need to choose an example tooth. It can be any tooth you'd like. For now, we're just trying to get through this stage of the process so we can get to scanning.
7. Scan the upper arch, the lower arch, and the bite. Try to get at least 2-3 mm of gingival area without distortion or gaps. Remember: good, clean scans produce better aligners.
8. Complete the post process by clicking the "Post Process" button on the lower right hand side of the screen. This configures the files and prepares them to be sent to ClearCorrect.
9. You're ready to send the case! Click "send order" at the bottom of the screen to complete the process.
After you've submitted your scans through 3Shape Communicate, you'll still need to submit your case on ClearComm before we can get started on making your aligners. Make sure to submit the case immediately after sending your scans so we can pair them together. When prompted, choose "TRIOS scan" as the scanner of choice during the "Impressions/Scan" step.
Another way you can submit your case to us using the 3Shape scanner is to use the Ortho Analyzer software. Not all doctors use this software, but if you happen to have it, here's what you do:
- Scan the upper arch, the lower arch, and the bite as you normally would.
- View the scans in the Ortho Analyzer software. If you're satisfied with them, save them as .STL files.
- In ClearComm, choose "other scans" during the "Impressions/Scan" step.
- Upload the scans you took of the upper arch and the lower arch. You do not need to upload the bite scan because it's automatically saved in both of the arch scan files.
Of course, if you prefer to send us PVS impressions, you're free to continue doing so!